Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Eco-friendly Cleaning Products

One of the things that I am passionate about is the environment.  I think our earth is a beautiful and fascinating place and I want to keep it that way-or at least not take a part in destroying it.  One way that I have found to reduce my carbon footprint is by buying non-toxic, biodegradable soaps, detergents, and cleaning products.  The reason is that most cleaning products that you find in the average home (including mine) have chemicals and toxins that are harmful to your body, especially your respiratory system.  In addition, these chemicals and toxins eventually find their way to lakes, streams, and oceans via the sewer system and they kill marine flora and fauna which I find devastating and so does our earth.
I'm not saying that I'm perfect; for example, there are certain products that are not yet produced in a non-toxic, biodegradable form and I do still continue to buy some of those products.  My philosophy is that if I am aware of a situation in which I can reduce my damage to our environment and I choose not to do anything about it then that is just ignorance.  It's even easier than you may think to find these products at places where you shop every week and I have found that most are the same price as what we're used to buying.
Here are some examples of my favorite brands and products and I have found all of these at Publix and Target (except for maybe the Aveda).


The brand is Method and I love the daily shower cleaner.


I use the Green Works toilet bowl cleaner and it smells like lime!


This laundry detergent and dish washing soap comes in scents like lavender and eucalyptus.  It's made by Seventh Generation.


Even shower gel can help the environment and I love this one in honey mango but it comes in lavender too if that's more your style.


Aveda products are plant based and the "be curly" line helps me stay "the curl next door".


No comments: